Friday 2 September 2016

Literacy Refection W6 T3

Reading : My reading goal is to use punctuation to enhance meaning. I had to write examples of what lots of different kinds of punctuation were  and put them in to a sentence ,here are some of the sentences I wrote.

Speech marks

     
 Apostrophe
 Full stop
 Colon
 Semicolon

 Comma
  

Reading: For my reading task I had to use punctuation to enhance meaning. For this activity I had to explain the purpose of a comma, semi colon, colon and a apostrophe . I new how to use  most  most of these but I got a bit stuck on my semicolons. I also had to use screencastify to teach others.





Reading : I also had to rerecord me reading a paragraph out of the book Third Class down the Congo. I had to pick a paragraph that had lots of punctuation in it so I could use my W.A.L.T which is use punctuation to enhance meaning. I also had to do One using punctuation and one with out using punctuation.The first one is with and second one is without.    

The picture was in't very clear so it was hard to read so I paused a lot to try and read the words and also I couldn't see them properly so I got some of them wrong.      


writing: Our other topic was to write how a toaster works ,you didn't have to pick a toaster but you had to pick something in your house that you no a lot about so I picked toaster. And the thing was that you weren't aloud to look anything up.


How a toaster works

A toaster is a instrument or appliance for toasting bread, muffins, etc. A toaster can be any colour but is usually white or silver. It is made out of metal and plastic. Usually they are shaped like an oval or square . You also have buttons and a lever. Another important bit is the power cord which sends power to the elements. A toaster is something that is for cooking your bread so it is nice and crunchy.  

As the electricity is pushed through the wires, the wires begin to glow and get very hot . If you look inside a toaster, you will see a  wire glowing orange. It's a loop of wire that makes the bread brown making your toast.

The lever is to start cooking your bread. So when you push the lever down  it lowers the bread into the toasting area.     

Sometimes you have to push the release button to pop your toast when required. Some of them have muffins or crumpets buttons which makes the slot wider for bigger food. And others have a dial to adjust the heat up and down .

Did you know that you can’t put fingers, forks knives etc in the toaster because you can get electrocuted but that is only if it is turned on.

The first toaster was made in 1893 in Great Britain by Crompton and Co (UK) and re-invented in 1909 in the United States. It only toasted one side of the bread at a time and it had to have a person to stand by and turn it off when the toast looked done.

1 comment:

  1. Hay Kat! Wow you have done lots of activities on your literacy post! Wow the history of the toaster in interesting. You are great at reading. Their is nothing you need to work on! Thanks Ella

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for your positive, thoughtful, helpful comment.